Friday, January 3, 2014

Pursuing The Dream- The Beginning


"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney
Hi there!

I have created this blog so others can join me on my journey, experiences, and lessons through The Disney College Program this Spring.  I could not be more excited to have the opportunity to work for such a huge household name that carries so many great memories for many of us such as Disney does. I'm going to begin by telling a little bit about my experiences thus far, why I choose to apply, how I applied, and a little bit about what I will be doing while in Orlando.

I am currently a junior horticulture major at Texas A&M University with a minor in business administration, as well as taking courses to get my Professional Event Management Certificate.  I am also member of the Theta Gamma chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha. After I graduate, I would like to work as an event planner either doing corporate events or weddings and parties. I have a huge passion for planning events, floral design, and anything craft related. I have worked at two different Hilton's and absolutely adore the hospitality industry. All of these passions guided me into Disney's direction this past summer.

I had heard about the Disney College Program before, but was not sure of what all it entailed. So, this past Summer I began doing research on the program. Disney offers the program at both Disney World and Disneyland. The basic components of both programs are living, learning, and earning. More information about these can be found here: http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/default/
After exploring the different roles offered, I discovered that there was an opportunity to work in hospitality, at that point I was sold on the program. I decided on applying just to Disney World, Orlando seemed like a better fit, and more people are accepted into the Disney World program.
Applications were available early September, and were broken down into three parts. The first was the basic application, the second was a web interview, and the final interview was a phone interview.  I submitted my application on September 16th, was given a web interview hours later, and then was given a phone interview which I had on September 25th. I was told that I would receive a response approximately two weeks later, but received my acceptance September 27th. The role I applied for and received was in Hospitality.

My arrival date for the program is January 13th, and I leave to make the 17 hour, 1,000+ mile drive to Orlando a week from tomorrow! I'll be living in a three bedroom apartment with five other girls from all over the nation. I am so excited for this opportunity and I am looking forward to all the people I will meet, the knowledge I will gain, and the memories I will make! On the Disney College Program website it says that the program is a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will change your life forever" and I could not be more excited for this chapter in my life!

Until next time,


No comments:

Post a Comment